In-cart redemption allows users to redeem their rewards from their shopping cart without leaving the purchase flow. It is implemented on the cart page during the checkout process. This achieves the following objectives:
- It provides a hassle-free way for your users to redeem their points
- It increases conversion percentages.
- It attracts users back for more purchases.
Below is a screenshot of a sample implementation of in-cart redemptions on the cart page.
User Experience for the in-cart redemptions functionality:
Before we delve into the details of setting up in-cart redemptions for your BigCommerce stores, let’s get you familiar with the user experience.
Here is a brief overview of how the user experience for in-cart redemption looks like -
- On the cart page, if the loyalty member is logged into their account, all eligible rewards will be fetched for this member and displayed in the dropdown. Product rewards are currently not eligible to be redeemed in-cart.
- When the member clicks on a reward, a popup is shown to the user informing the user that a coupon will be applied to the cart and points will get deducted. Upon confirmation, the coupon code of the corresponding value gets applied to the cart and the member's points are deducted.
- If the member removes the coupon code, the points which were deducted are returned back to the member’s account and will reflect on the cart page. The coupon code is invalidated and can never be used again.
- If the member abandons the cart, after 15 minutes of redeeming the reward, the points which were deducted are returned back to the member’s account. The coupon code is invalidated and can never be used again.
- If the member goes ahead with the purchase, the discount will be applied as per the value of the coupon code.
To enable in-cart redemptions on your BigCommerce website, we need to insert a piece of HTML and JS code into the cart page HTML.
- Please contact email@example.com so that we can assist you in setting up in-cart redemptions.
- In order to allow Zinrelo to insert the code on your cart page HTML, please please provide access to your Bigcommerce admin panel to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Limitations of the in-cart rewards feature:
- On the checkout page, if a coupon code is removed, the points will be credited back to the user’s account after 15 minutes.
- In the case of a return of an order in which an in-cart reward has been redeemed, points which are already redeemed will not be returned back.
- When a free shipping reward is redeemed in-cart and if there are no shipping fees for that order, the coupon code still gets used and the user does not get their points back. Note: This is a Bigcommerce issue as Bigcommerce does not remove a free shipping coupon code automatically when there are no shipping charges. Bigcommerce also marks the coupon code as being used in the order.